Known as The King of Oils, Frankincense is proven to have been a valuable trade commodity as far back as 3,000 BC in both the Babylonian and Assyrian cultures. The Egyptians used it as purification incense, in perfumes, as healing salves, insect repellant, in eyeliner and in mummification. In 500 BC it made it’s way into China as a circulatory remedy. Today, researchers know a great deal about Frankincense and it’s valuable healing properties.
Frankincense is sap that comes from Boswellia trees that grow naturally throughout the southern Arabian peninsula (extending into Africa) and India. Boswellia (boswellia carterri) and Sacred Boswellia (boswellia sacra) are the two most common of the species. The sap is collected in nuggets off the trees or from the ground and then used either powdered or made into tinctures or oil. On today’s market pure food grade Frankincense oil sells for approximately $70 per 1/2 ounce. However, a little goes a long way and it’s healing properties are amazing with no known side effects.
For thousands of years Frankincense has been used in religious settings including the catholic church as a holy incense that not only scents the air but also purifies it. Both the oil’s fumes and the smoke that wafts from burning the incense are antiseptic.
- Respiratory Issues. Frankincense is a powerful healer of the respiratory system. It’s anti inflammatory properties reduces asthma attacks and relieves bronchitis and congestion of the nasal tract, larynx, pharynx, bronchi and lungs. Frankincense soothes cough and clears phlegm.
*Use pure food grade Frankincense oil in a vaporizer or as a chest rub when mixed with olive oil.
Researchers say when used as a tonic, Frankincense “seems to benefit all the body systems”. Respiratory, Digestive, Nervous, and Excretory. It also aids in nutrient absorption.
*For a Tonic: Drink 1 or 2 drops of pure food grade Frankincense oil in 8 to 16 ounces of water.
- Boosts the immune system
- Cleans wounds preventing tetanus and keeping them septic free.
- Promotes feelings of wellness and relaxation
- Lowers blood pressure
- Relieves arthritis
- Combats female hormonal issues
- Is a coagulant
- Stimulates urination aiding the body to release water weight, fats, uric acid and other toxins.
- Combats loss of firmness of intestines, AB muscles and limbs
- Strengthens gums, hair roots, and tones and lifts skin
- Anti aging. It regenerates healthy cells into the body and keeps healthy cells and tissues healthy.
- Treats skin conditions. Removes warts, skin tags and other viral appearance.
- Cures oral issues such as tooth decay, sores and infections.
*Use soda and Frankincense oil as a toothpaste and create a mouth wash by mixing water with Frankincense and peppermint oils.
*Most all the benefits of Frankincense are due to the powerful Anti inflammatory, Astringent and Anticeptic properties found in it’s “Boswelliac Acids”.
CANCER: Immunologist and researcher Mahmoud Suhail at the University of Oklahoma states that Frankincense “supresses proliferation of cancer cells.” “It resets the DNA codes of cancer corrupted DNA in cells.” This research was done on bladder cancer. Suhail is hopeful that in the future Frankincense may play an active role in cancer treatment.
*Only pure food grade Frankincense oil should be used when treating the body. There are a few companies that manufacture this high grade oil. Young Living Oils is a company I know and trust.