This is a 3 day event. You will be able to work and function as usual the first day but may want to be at home the last 2, so start on a Friday.
If you are currently suffering gallstones you will want to check with your doctor to make sure none are large enough to clog the gallbladder if they try to pass. Many doctors stand behind gallbladder cleanses and liver flushes but many still do not. It would be my guess that most who do not have never experienced a cleanse themselves or have been alongside someone close to them who has actually reaped the benefits of a cleansing.
Symptoms of needing a gallbladder cleanse:
- Fat intolerance
- Feeling a heaviness or discomfort after eating fatty or fried foods
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- “Fatty Liver” condition
- Pain under right rib cage
- Occipital headaches
- Aching joints and muscles
- Yellowish discoloration of eyes and skin
- Discomfort after eating certain fruits
- Bitter taste in mouth
- If you have had chemotherapy or used any prescription drugs or recreational drugs or ingested hormones on a regular basis.
First, a quick bit on gallbladder function and gallstones:
The gallbladder stores and regulates bile. Bile is a fluid made in the liver that is essential in the digestion of fat. As fat from your food passes through the small intestine, the gallbladder dumps in a precise amount of bile to aid fat digestion.
If the liver is overloaded by toxins from health conditions such as constipation, persistent drug, alcohol or hormone use (prescription or non), contaminated or processed foods; the bile releases can become extremely concentrated. The gallbladder can clog with thickened bile or “gall stones” created by thick bile.
Gallbladder removal creates a constant trickle of bile into your digestive system. Without the proper amount of bile being regulated to match the presence or absence of fat passing through the system, improper digestion is produced leading to an array of fat soluble vitamin deficiencies as well as poor cholesterol metabolism and absorption of fat globules. It is much better to cleanse your gallbladder, purge your system of toxins and change your ingestive habits than to have your gallbladder removed. (Beware the doctor scare!) If you are experiencing painful gallstones of significant size, they usually can be broken apart by ultrasound just like kidney stones can be.
Ingredients for the Cleanse:
Fresh organic apple juice or cider (no added sugar or anything)
4 Tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/2 cup Bragg’s olive oil (the only brand I truly trust)
3 lemons or 1 grapefruit
- drink 8 ounces apple juice every 2 hours throughout the day. This helps flush the liver.
- Eat a no fat breakfast. This enables bile to accumulate and put pressure in the liver making it easier for more stones to be flushed out.
- Mix 4 Tablespoons Epsom Salts in 3 cups water and place in refrigerator.
Do Not Eat or Drink Anything other than purified water for the rest of the day.
5:00 PM (same day):
- Drink 3/4 cup of the salts mixture (you may add 1/2 teaspoon of pure powdered vitamin C, for flavor, if you need to in order to drink the salts)
- Drink another 3/4 cup of the salts mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup olive oil and squeeze all 3 lemons or the 1 grapefruit into 3/4 cup of the salts mixture. Do this in a jar with a tight closing lid and shake vigorously until all is one liquid and drink it down.
Immediately lay down for the night. Lie on your right side with your right knee up toward your chest for 20 minutes. Lie still. Go to sleep.
- when you wake up drink your last 3/4 cup of salts.
- You Are Finished! Wait a couple hours before eating. You may want to start with your morning liquids. Juicing would be good. Re-introduce foods slowly. Fruits first. I would stay away from foods containing fats for this day.
*Some may experience a bit of discomfort or cramping during the cleanse. this should not be extreme. Again, if you know you have gallbladder stones and are already having pain, consult your doctor about their size and doing the cleanse.